Wednesday, 15 October 2014
10 Ways to Rest & Play This Summer
Helloooo summer! Long lazy days, rest and…wait, does rest come naturally to you?
Me neither. That’s why we both need help as we head into the summer months. I always think I will kick back and enjoy the free time. Maybe clean out a closet or two. Or the entire house, including the garage. Oh, and what about the unfinished painting project? And I was hoping to tackle the pile of papers that’s been stacking up in a corner of my desk. I’m a little afraid to find out what’s in there.
At this point you and I start to feel tired, and more than a little burdened. Weary and burdened. No wonder Matthew 11:28-30 continues to head my list of possible life verses. You?
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn of me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls, for my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” NIV
Do you hear the good news? Maybe this summer is an opportunity for us to discover more about this gospel truth. Here are some suggestions to help us come to Jesus and learn of him. And after we’ve rested a while, then it’s time to laugh and play and discover.
Here are 10 ways we can learn to rest in him.
- Pick up a copy of Humble Roots by Hannah Anderson to dig into the topic of rest.
- Learn to rest even when your work’s not finished.
- Take a nap in the sun to apply what you’re learning.
- Take a long soak in the Psalms.
- Enjoy a mental vacation in the South of France.
- Learn that Rest is More Than Finishing Work
- Head outside to bask in your Father’s world.
- Lose yourself so you can be Found in Him.
- Laugh out loud as Anne Lamott teaches you how to write.
- Try to figure out whodunit in Dorothy Sayers’ The Five Red Herrings.
Try one or a few of these, but whatever you do, don’t turn this list into another to-do list!
Let’s learn to rest in Jesus together. Send me your favorite escape reading or Psalm verses or hilarious comedies or pictures of your Father’s world.
I’ll be waiting…